Nathens, A. B.
Dr. Avery Nathens is currently the Chief of Surgery at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Canada and a Professor of Surgery at the University of Toronto. He is an attending trauma surgeon and intensivist with a clinical interest in surgical infection. He is chair of the Ontario Trauma Advisory Committee and Director of the American College of Surgeons Trauma Quality Improvement Program. His research interests include trauma system effectiveness and quality of trauma care. He holds a Canada Research Chair in Systems of Trauma Care and has published over 250 peer-reviewed papers focusing on trauma system design and implementation.
• Queen’s University Medical School, Kingston, ON (1990)
• Resident, General Surgery, University of Toronto (1998)
• Surgical Scientist (PhD), Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto
• Fellowship, Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Harborview Medical Center,
Seattle, WA (2000)
• Master in Public Health (MPH), University of Washington (2000)
• Attending Trauma Surgeon, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA
• Director, Surgical Critical Care, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA
• Director, Acute Care Section, Harborview Injury Prevention and Research
• Division Head, General Surgery and Director of Trauma, St. Michael’s Hospital,